Former V.P. Bhairon Singh Shekhawat died today of cardiac arrest, he was admitted in Sawai Man Singh (SMS) Hospital, Jaipur complaining of uneasiness and breathing problems.
Dr Narpat Singh, superintendent of the hospital, said that Shekhawat, 87, breathed his last at 11.10am.
His condition deteriorated this morning and so he was put on ventilator – Dr. Ashok Pangaria
He was admitted in ICU at SMS hospital on the night of May 13 and doctors had said he was suffering from lung and chest infection.
Shekhawat, who was suffering from lung infection, died of cardiac arrest, Dr Pangaria said.
About Sri. Bhairon Singh Shekhawat :
Birth – October 23, 1923
Place Of birth – Khachariyawas, a small village in Sikar district
- He was sworn-in as the country’s 12th vice-president on August 19, 2002.
- Shekhawat was the only member of the Rajasthan Assembly to have won in every assembly election since 1952, except 1972 when he lost from Gandhi Nagar in Jaipur.
- He was also elected to the Rajya Sabha from neighbouring Madhya Pradesh in 1974.
- He enjoyed the distinction of heading three non-Congress governments in the state in 1977-1980, 1990-1992 and 1993-1998.
- His tenure as the chief minister of the desert state was marked by pragmatism as his government launched path-breaking policies.
- His brainchild – the Antyodaya scheme to help the poorest of the poor, brought international accolades for Shekhawat with the then World Bank Chief Robert McNamara describing him as the Rockfeller of India.
He surely made India Proud.. I too feel proud that I belonge to the same era which saw such a MAN.
May God bless his family and give them strenght.
MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE