Confused about what is UIT and Nagar Nigam and what is the difference between both of these government organizations? Then this article is entirely for you. This article explains the meaning, roles, and difference between both the organizations.
What is Nagar Nigam?
Nagar Nigam is called by different names such as the municipal corporation, City Corporation, Mahanagar Palika, Mahanagar Nigam, or Nagara Sabha. It is a local government body in India that administers urban areas with a population of more than a million. Whereas the urban local body that administers with more than 15,000 and less than 25,000 inhabitants is classified as a “Nagar panchayat” or “Nagar Parishad”. Nagar Nigam works for providing necessary community services such as health care, educational institution, housing, transport etc. by collecting property tax and fixed grant from the State Government.
Nagar Nigam is headed by the Mayor who in Udaipur is Mr. Chandrasingh Kothari, elected in the year 2014. And the tenure of the same is five years. In some states and Union Territories, the role of Mayor is often ceremonial as the executive powers are with the Municipal Commissioner who is Mr. Siddharth Sihag in Udaipur.
Roles and responsibilities
- Urban planning including town planning.
- Regulation of land-use and construction of buildings.
- Planning for economic and social development.
- Water supply for domestic, industrial and commercial purposes.
- Public health, sanitation conservancy, and solid waste management.
- Fire services
- Urban forestry, protection of the environment and promotion of ecological aspects.
- Safeguarding the interests of weaker sections of society, including the handicapped and mentally retarded.
- Slum improvement and up-gradation.
- Urban poverty alleviation.
- Provision of urban amenities and facilities such as parks, gardens, playgrounds.
- Promotion of cultural, educational and aesthetic aspects.
- Burials and burial grounds – cremations, cremation grounds, and electric crematoriums.
- Cattle pounds – prevention of cruelty to animals.
- Vital statistics including registration of births and deaths.
- Public amenities including street lighting, parking lots, bus stops and public conveniences.
- Regulation of slaughter houses and tanneries.
Wondering what are the major development plans of Nagar Nigam in Udaipur? Click here.
Website – Udaipur Municipal Corporation
Address of the Nagar Nigam Office – 21, Nagar Palika Link Rd, Palika Bazar, Townhall, Shakti Nagar, Udaipur
Urban Improvement Trust (UIT)
What is Urban Improvement trust?
Urban Improvement Trust works on the Urban Improvement trust act. These improvement trusts were created and entrusted with town improvement schemes, town expansion schemes and provision of essential services, amenities, etc.
Roles and responsibility
- Nazul lands (The land situated beyond two miles of the Municipal limits, which has escheated to the State Government and has not already been appropriated by the State Government for any purpose.)
- Transfer of private street or square to Trust
- Provisions of a drain or water work to replace another situated on a land.
- Has the power to turn or close a street or square.
- To make surveys or contribute towards them
- Has the power to purchase or lease by agreement
- Has the power to restrict any improvement in urban areas
- Restriction on change of use of land and power of State Government to allow the change in use of land.
- Power to prevent or demolish a building.
- Can order to demolish a building.
- Power to stop improper use of land or buildings in urban areas
- Power to stop building operations
- Encroachment or obstruction on public land.
Want to know about the projects of UIT? Click here.
Website – Urban Improvement Trust, Udaipur
Address of the UIT Office – UIT Circle, Moti Magri road, Udaipur
Difference between UIT and Nagar Nigam
The functions of both of these government bodies are distinctly the same, but there are several factors and points that draw a line between both of these organizations.
Mode of Selection (Members)
Periphery of development
Mostly functions within the City
Mostly functions in the Outer regions of the city
Town planning, Road Constructions, Development of Basic amenities
|Maintenance of specific areas such as parks, parking, etc., Provision of important services such as water supply, fire services, etc.|
Taxes such as property tax and receives a fixed grant from State Government
|Doesn’t receive Grants from the government, collect revenue by lease, application for land conversions, etc.|
|Constitution||A part of the constitution||Not a part of the constitution|
Do you have any feedback regarding the article or a suggestion? Then write to me at email@example.com.